« Shooting From The Don’t… A Journey Of Opportunity - Part 9 | Main | Adapting to Tables-Part 2 »

4-Rolls-No-7……Worthwhile Bet or Waste of Money?

It’s almost always a safe bet to assume that any new bets that are offered by casinos these day will have a pretty strong negative-expectation edge against the random-roller…and the 4-Rolls-No-7 is no exception…unless you happen to be a dice-influencer with even a slight amount of de-randomizing skill.


How minimal that skill has to be to turn the 4-R-No-7 into a positive-expectation bet may actually surprise you; but first let’s cover the basics:

The 4-Rolls-No-7 requires a bet to be made at the start of a hand where you wager that the shooter will be able to
throw four rolls before a 7 shows up.

~If the shooter successfully throws four rolls without a 7; then your wager is paid even-money (1:1) and the hand continues as normal.

~If the shooter
doesn’t throw four rolls before the 7 shows up; then the bet loses.

Though the modest even-money (1:1) payoff (if you throw four rolls without a 7) initially looks meager; it can actually provide a very steady and reliable stream of income.


The random-roller house-edge against the
4-Rolls-No-7 bet is -3.55%, but let’s see how it fairs in the hands of dice-influencers with various skill levels.



Picture 4

How I Bet the 4-Rolls-No-7 wager


Since you have to make your 4-Rolls-No-7 wager before your first throw, it obviously impacts any planned Game-Within-A-Game come-out strategy that you might have been contemplating.


To counter-balance that and to offset the expected income that I’d make off of my usual C-O Horn or World
G-W-A-G action, my base wager on the 4-R-No-7 is usually a minimum of double or triple what my base Passline wager is, but most times it is quadruple or sextuple that amount.


For example, if the flat-portion of my PL-bet is
$25; then I’ll bet at least $50 or $75, but usually $100 or $150 on the 4-Rolls-No-7 wager.



Something to Keep in Mind:


Considering how frequently you'll be able to collect from a particular bet, as well as what it pays when it does hit; is certainly a great way to appraise any wager no matter what your current skill-level is.



When players first consider the
4-Rolls-No-7 bet and its -3.55% house-edge (5.178 losing bets for every 4.822 winning bets); many consider it to be a fairly big -EV hurdle to overcome; yet those same bettors feel totally comfortable tackling a higher-vig wager like the Place-bet 5 or 9.



What they almost always fail to consider is that there’s only a
40% random-expectancy chance of hitting either a 5 or 9 and a 60% chance of losing it (for example, four ways to win a Place-bet-5 and six ways for a 7-Out to lose it); while there is a 48.22% chance of throwing four rolls without a 7 and a 51.78% chance of not being able to do it.



Even when you factor in the 7:5 payout for a Place-bet 5 or 9 (for example four winning $7 payouts minus six losing $5 7-Outs…$28 in gross-winning minus $30 in gross-losses = -$2 net loss) compared to the
4-R-No-7's even-money (1:1) payout; it’s still a better bet.



Frankly, if the
4-Rolls-No-7 bet was offered in more casinos, I’d be chasing this one all over the country and hammering it to near each houses respective comfort-level limits instead of restricting it to just the Sam’s Town-sisters.



For dice-influencers with an SRR-rate of 6.4 or better, the rate-of-return for this wager is obviously quite strong and in my view the
4-Rolls-No-7 is DEFINITELY a Worthwhile Bet. 


Good Luck & Good Skill at the Tables…and in Life.

Sincerely,

The Mad Professor
Copyright © 2007

Do you have questions or comments about the articles and subjects discussed here at the Dice Institute? Sign up for our member's forum and share them with us!

About

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on February 9, 2007 9:03 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Shooting From The Don’t… A Journey Of Opportunity - Part 9.

The next post in this blog is Adapting to Tables-Part 2.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Creative Commons License
This weblog is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by
Movable Type 3.34